Caring for health: how to choose a humidifier
With the statement “water is life” is unlikely someone will argue. We consist of water by 70-80%, and glossy magazines and websites are full of calls to follow the water balance in the body by consuming daily 1.5-2 liters of water.
But equally important is the humidity in the room, which is often so lacking in our homes and at work. Dry air can adversely affect the immune system and the General condition of the body, dry mucous membranes and by reducing resistance to bacteria and pathogens.
Especially the humidity is important for children who have not yet developed immunity to most of the surrounding “pests”, and for people with allergies.
On average, our homes have humidity in the area of 20-30%, the desired normal for a man of 40-60%. To restore the balance of moisture and use a humidifier, which has positive impact not only on our health but also on the wooden objects (wooden furniture, musical instruments, flooring and natural finishing materials) and plants.
- 1. Traditional moisturizers.
- 2. Steam humidifiers.
- 3. Ultrasonic humidifiers.
- 4. Climatic complexes.
- 5. Results.
It is the instrument with the most natural method of humidification. The basic principle of the so-called passive humidifiers is the acceleration of the process of natural evaporation of water.
Filled into the tank water enters the sump and the evaporator is absorbed by the filter, and a built-in fan “blows” humidified and purified air into the room, simulating the evaporation process of water by the wind in nature. To accelerate the evaporation in such models is possible only by placing the device in the place of the highest air circulation or near a heat source.
More expensive but also more effective filter disk is considered. The disc filters replacement needs, but the periodic washing – definitely. Clean the filter and to completely change the water is used several times a week with constant use.
On the effectiveness of traditional humidifiers have the most modest performance – maximum humidity, which they can provide, is 60%. Also they are not designed for large rooms like large living rooms, halls or office – productivity for large area is not enough. But this is perfect for children – they are the most safe, economical and are quiet that will not disturb baby during sleep.
However, cold humidifiers already not frequent visitors to the stores, because the producers prefer the more productive dampening systems.
- + economical – low energy consumption;
- + you can use water even from the tap;
- + safety for children and animals;
- + silent operation.
- — low efficiency (keeping the humidity up to 60%);
- — not suitable for rooms with a large area.
These moisturizers are even used in greenhouses, maintaining the necessary microclimate.
The water from the tank falls into a sump where it is brought to the boiling temperature and the formed vapor is distributed around the room by a fan. In steam humidifiers, the filters can also be removable or permanent.
If You choose a humidifier with a replaceable filter, it is important to consider whether it is easy for Your model to find and replace. Care non-replaceable filter is the same as in traditional moisturizers – they periodically need to be flushed, especially if you use hard water.
The housing of such devices are often made of robust heat-resistant plastic with a low degree of thermal conductivity. For an adult they are safe, but the steam device is better to keep out of reach from children and Pets who may accidentally burn yourself with steam.
Choosing a steam humidifier, note the presence of a hygrometer or hygrostat. This is something that will regulate work of the device and will disable it when it reaches the desired level of humidity. It is also important that the instrument is switched off automatically if the tank ran out of water.
But despite all the advantages, there are steam humidifiers and disadvantages. They consume more energy (the average power is about 500 W), the consumption of which exceeds other models several times, but due to the constant heating steam humidifiers heat the surrounding space, which can cause discomfort in hot weather.
- + high efficiency – due to the vaporization of the air in the room quickly reaches the desired moisture content;
- + air sterilization by steam and fight bacteria;
- + can be used for aromatherapy.
- — high energy consumption;
- — the noise produced during the operation of the fan and the boiling point of the liquid;
- — not recommended for use in children.
Today it is the most popular type of humidifiers, which combines the advantages and steam, and traditional instruments.
The device described above is somewhat more complicated. The role of the evaporator acts as vibrating at high frequencies the membrane, and when water falls on her, begins to disintegrate into small particles of water (“water dust”). After the split up water is sprayed into the room by a fan. With this system of spraying ultrasonic humidifiers are quiet and consume very little energy.
One of the main features of ULTRASONIC humidifiers is the water requirements. Since the filtration system in these models may not be provided, then, using water of poor quality, after some time, you might find on furniture and houseplants white “plaque”.
Most models are equipped with a programmable humidistat and a built-in timer and auto power off when lack of water.
Often ultrasonic models are complemented by twists like the ionization of air or heated steam at the outlet. In the first case, together with moisture, the air is cleaned from dust and micro-particles that will be especially helpful for Allergy sufferers and people sensitive to dust.
In the second case you can set the temperature of escaping steam, depending on needs and time of year – warm, cold or hot. But additional features usually affect the cost of the humidifier, so before buying should consider, whether there will be additional costs.
The pros of ultrasonic humidifiers:
- + high efficiency and fast humidification;
- + silent operation;
- + you can set the desired humidity level or time of work;
- + low-energy consumption;
- + some models can be controlled remotely.
- — the need to use purified (filtered or distilled) water;
- — does not provide the function of aromatherapy.
The name itself – climatic complex – suggests that one moisture of the air is not restricted and has a much wider range for the right “weather in the house”. The main functions of such complexes are moisture and air purification, ionization and even cooling. Now everything in order.
Air purification occurs through the establishment of complex filters ranging from filters that capture dust, dander and pollen, ending “jewelry” filters which prevent harmful bacteria and microorganisms.
To combat bad odors (the smell of Pets, cigarette smoke or food) in climatic complex set carbon filters. For efficient operation, cleaning the filters periodically need to be flushed or replaced.
With the function of air ionization the complex climatic balance in the room the ratio of positively and negatively charged particles, producing anions and creating a room the effect of fresh mountain air.
The cooling system may be of two types. In the first case, the water tank are placed in pre-chilled in freezer containers with refrigerant, which is supplied together with the device, whereby the temperature of the water is reduced and the room already gets cool air.
The second kind of action is reminiscent of the principle of operation traditional humidifiers with a “cold steam”, which is a fan spray water in the room and cooling is the most natural way.
In addition, most climate complexes are used for aromatherapy. Usually, in order to pamper yourself with your favorite smells is enough to impregnate a cotton cloth or swab with a few drops of scented oil and place it in a special compartment in the climatic complex.
- + versatility – combines a humidifier, air purifier and air ionizer;
- + economical consumption of electricity;
- + “smart” control and standalone operation – climatic complexes virtually do not need the intervention of the user, and built-in humidity & air purification independently include necessary functions;
- + perfect for people with allergies and for asthmatics;
- + savings and space – the universal device is cheaper and takes up less space than all the devices individually;
- + mobility – can move freely in the room and is suitable for offices, homes, public facilities.
- — in spite of mobility, dimensional and have a greater compared to ordinary moisturizers the weight;
- noise and illumination during the day it may not to interfere, but people with sensitive sleep the climatic complex can be a hindrance to travelers.
- — need replacement filters and the high cost of consumables.
When choosing a home humidifier is important to consider the area and type of premises, which will contain device. For larger rooms is better to choose a productive humidifiers – ultrasonic or steam, and for small children’s bedroom it is better to give preference to traditional models.
A variety of design solutions on the market of humidifiers is really impressive. To choose the right type of device with a design that organically will look in Your interior not working: for offices fit model in the classic style or high-tech, futuristic look to emphasize the extraordinary style living room or bedroom, and the kids will be very helpful bright curly humidifiers shaped like animals or characters from cartoons.
Combining a variety of devices, such a set of essential in families where someone has a respiratory disease or Allergy, as well as for families with young children.
- Top 10 apps for iOS and Android (16 — 22 Jan)
- Samsung plans to release case Flip Cover with built-in E-Ink screen
- How to choose vacuum cleaner for home: the secrets of a successful purchase
- In the network leaked information about the date of announcement and the cost of the Samsung Galaxy S8