In St. Petersburg will build the world’s largest planetarium
NVIDIA recently held in Saint-Petersburg a press-conference, devoted to the construction of the new planetarium, which will become the world’s largest such structure. The event was presented its main technical features. The conference was held within the walls of Russia’s largest gas holder, where it will house the planetarium. Eugene gudov, project Manager, told about the course of works on creation of the planetarium. He also shared information about the main features of the project and unique technical solutions, which they intend to use.
Key features of the future of the planetarium:
- device dome: the world’s only major planetarium, the dome will be partially in contact with the floor that will allow visitors to be photographed on the background of the cosmos;
- the frame of the dome is made of LVL, a screen of perforated aluminum panels, and the bottom dome from sheets of solid polycarbonate, to prevent deformation, if they will build visitors.
- projection system will be based on 40 high definition projectors, located in the center of the room and working “frame to frame”;
- NVIDIA solutions will allow you to visualize in real time images 8х8К with the prospect of expanding to 16х16К and will allow for the integration of VR solutions in the framework of the planetarium;
- the unique acoustic features of the building will be highlighted with eight-channel sound system;
- to create a new sequence, the organizers have attracted the best Russian teams of media designers: some of the content is developed Installtechno Creative Group with N3 Design, and some of the performers content will be determined by the results of the hackathon with a prize Fund in size 1 million roubles;
- visitors will have the ability to navigate the starry sky with the touch screens that will be installed throughout the hall: after viewing the multimedia content for a duration of 40 minutes will alternately activate the touch tables, which visitors will be able to manipulate the image on the dome of the planetarium;
- the educational program of the planetarium will be held in several lectures, including at the street; currently there is an ongoing dialogue with a number of universities and the Northwest organization of Federation of cosmonautics of Russia on a joint educational program;
- the planetarium will feature a gallery of the achievements of Russian rocketry in 1:20 scale, three-meter model of the Energia-Buran with the animation using the KUKA robot, a unique information area, made from special booths that combine real objects and projected using a conductive ink that would react to the touch;
- the planetarium will be the first major building in St. Petersburg with the dynamic laser lights, similar to the projection show on the facade of the building;
- the organizers promise to present free of charge area startups which will be located with the Studio prototyping adjacent to the planetarium building;
- the cultural program of the new planetarium will inherit a portion of the existing projects Lumiere hall: science festivals, Opera, Symphony concerts, festivals, audio-visual art;
- both outside and inside the planetarium will be adhered to the concept of free space: this means that there will be large number of places where you can sit down and relax for visitors and people passing by;
- inside the planetarium you will also be able to move freely even during the session and will not be a strict fixing of seats for visitors due to the large size of the projection dome. The space beneath the dome is multi-functional and will allow for performances, Opera concerts, presentations.
NVIDIA will provide the technical equipment of the planetarium servers latest high-performance graphics cards NVIDIA Quadro P6000 in conjunction with Quadro Sync II for video playback with resolution up to 16K and calculation of the generator of the sky, which will be used for educational and research programs of the planetarium.
The opening of the new planetarium is scheduled for November 4, 2017.
- UMIDIGI working on a new flagship with 8GB of RAM and a screen 18:9
- The boss doesn’t know: play, work and palites
- Insides #971: Nubia Z17, Samsung Galaxy J3 (2017), Moto Z2, restart Windows 10 Mobile
- Review Umi Rome X: a decent choice in the budget range
- Top 10 apps for iOS and Android (22-28 may)
- Google Pixel 2: what do we know