Self-winding mechanical watches: how to make
Is familiar to us today the invention, a wrist watch, actually has a long and not quite a simple story. The relationship to wrist timepieces for the past 5 centuries owing to various reasons were changed repeatedly.
We know that the “pioneers” in terms of compact wearable watch was a pocket model, which was the prerogative of men. They were worn in the special pockets on the jackets or just in the pockets of his trousers. And really – how did ladies dress a pouch for the pocket watch?
The first wrist model was created for women they expensively decorated (with pearls, gold and precious stones), and served more of an accessory than a mechanism for measuring time. It was a boutique luxury item, and the function of clock itself they were clearly secondary. The male half of society react to such “know-how” extremely skeptical due to the fact that such a tiny mechanism could not boast of high precision, did not recognize this decoration clock, in principle.
However, the course of history and progress made to change the attitude of wrist chronometers. Native male activities like hunting, riding (and the driving) and military Affairs demanded high concentration, so always get the watch out of his pocket was extremely uncomfortable. And that is why since the late nineteenth century pocket watches began to be attached to the wrist with leather straps, becoming the prototype for today’s casual wrist watches.
But it’s the story. Today we have no such urgent need for wrist chronometers – the vast majority surrounding us technology (from smartphones to refrigerators) allow us to know the time without the wrist mechanism. But even with the advent of direct competitors such timepieces – watches – classic watches remain in demand.
Let the wrist watch for the most part and remain a fashion accessory or a matter of habit, but in the foreseeable future, the fashion is still relevant. Today we are going to consider in detail the representatives of mechanical timepieces – automatic watch.
Benefits hour automatic
For anybody not a secret that the main part, providing a mechanical watch is the spring. Its “tension” and ensures uniformity of movement of the hands. In ordinary mechanics “fighting spirit” of the springs need to support manually – to make their have with the scrolling crown, what you need to do this daily and preferably at the same time. Scattered or very busy people it could be a problem.
But if we’re talking about watches with automatic winding, the principle is somewhat different. Inside the case of such watches hidden a special mechanism – a small tungsten pendulum, made in the form of a sector with a displaced center of gravity. When the watch is on hand, while making us the most ordinary movements of the pendulum comes into effect, maintaining the spring in working condition. Hence, the first plus – slow-winding movement relieves us of the need for daily manual winding chronometer.
Second important advantage is higher accuracy compared to conventional mechanical watches. Due to the fact that the function of automatic always keep the spring in a state of almost maximum plant, the difference in time will be minimal. In turn, the classical mechanics, the error in time can amount to 15-40 seconds per day.
Have hours automatic and some disadvantages, but they can be hardly called a critical. Convenience requires sacrifice, so due to the fact that standard time mechanism is added to the inertial pendulum, the watch case automatic watch must be more massive.
Another disadvantage is the fear of bumps. But it is logical – any device, if it is, of course, is not designed to power “shake-up”, at least not like mechanical damage. But here it is another time sensitive attack may damage the mounting and support, which keeps our flywheel. There is no wizard to do.
Rules plant hours
Whatever brand the watch is not sported on Your wrist, they still are quite fragile and sensitive internal mechanisms. Therefore, in order to extend their service, for them to properly care for, time to carry to the watchmaker for a “checkup” and, of course, correct to get. If You wear these watches every day, the question of the plant disappears by itself. But what to do when automatic watch started to lag or completely stopped?
For starters it would be good to read the instructions that came with Your model. After all, who but the manufacturer will be able to give the most sensible advice on working with his “brainchild”? But if there is no such possibility, check out our recommendations.
- Remove watch from wrist. Any watch to have on hand is not desirable – the pressure on the winding wheel will not be uniform, which may eventually lead to more rapid wear of internal parts.
- Move the crown to the side, pulling for her. Try to do it as thoroughly as possible without excessive physical effort.
- Now proceed to the factory. Gently start to move the crown clockwise (i.e., from itself). Better to do it in short jerky movements, gradually, not to make the chronometer a few powerful prokrashivania. To do such simple manipulations need to stop, but then in any case do not overdo it. Remember that the mechanism itself is quite fragile. By the way, can sometimes be difficult to work with a wheel (it can scroll or slide between the fingers), but for a mechanical watch, it is in order – the so-called “defect of ergonomics”.
- When the clock is wound up, is to return the crown to its original position, that is, carefully push it back into the case. That’s all. Watch is completely ready!
Recommendations for the use of hours
- The first rule and most important – wear the watch every day. This is what they intended. Movement is “life” for these hours. To Chrono is not “malfunctioned” and worked correctly as possible, it is better to wear them for 8-12 hours a day.
- To protect Your accessory from accidental breakage, do not turn the winding wheel counter-clockwise (towards you).
- If You are wearing the watch machines only periodically or alternated with the other clocks, to maintain their efficiency, you can purchase a special mechanical box (winder), which will simulate the movement and swinging pendulum inside the watch. These boxes come in all shapes and sizes, can be designed for one or several watches.
- Automatic watch not a love long standstill, so be active throughout the day. Don’t have much gesticulating hands or doing vigorous waving – leisurely walking is fine. Even if your work is mostly sedentary, don’t forget to take breaks and even just a little bit. It is useful for health, and the watch will tell You “thank you.” But before the sport these timepieces are better off – too sharp movements, they are not adapted.
- If the watch is still stopped, then take the time to bring them into working condition, if you wear them You do not plan to. It is better to have them just before You’re ready to wear the watch on the wrist and not to leave them all day.
- To produce the winding and self-winding better at home. It is not desirable to do this in high humidity (rain for example) or when high concentrations of dust in the air (during strong winds). When we start the clock, then pushing the crown, we partially open the internal mechanism, making it more vulnerable to the aggressive environment.
If choosing a new casual wristwatch Your eyes focused on the mechanics, then you can safely choose a mechanical model with automatic winding. Advantages over clockwork “classic” is obvious: daily exercise on plant hours You are not threatened, the accuracy of these watches can compete with quartz, and the mechanism reliable and checked more than one generation.
Many manufacturers from around the world offer in their ranks the most worthy options automatic chronometers, from conservative classics to claims and extravagant models. If we talk about pricing, the brand is the brand of discord and the target audience for each is different.
The choice of the brand depends on the user, because for some watch is accessory for every day which is as important as, say, a bag or belt, and for others it is an integral “beacon” status and prestige, the cost of which has no borders on top.
A good balance between price and quality offered models of Orient and Alfex, more status self-winding mechanical watches can be found in the range of Epos and Atlantic, and chronometers , Longines and Raymond will satisfy even the most demanding customer, for whom the stamp “Swiss Made” is not the last value.
- Robot vacuum cleaner — a true helper for cleaning
- Style and convenience: partially embedded dishwasher
- Top 10 apps for iOS and Android (18-24 September)
- Memory card for smartphone selection criteria