It is possible that someone remembers a series of smartphones from LG – G Flex, which had a curved screen. Quickly enough, the South Korean company abandoned further development of this venture, as well as another technology — a special material for the back panel, which could “heal” from minor scratches received. Now similar technology, but to protect the screen of the gadgets created by the University of California, riverside. The material can be stretched by 50 times relative to its original size, and it is made of an ionic salt and a polymer. The molecules are connected by special relations – the ion-dipole interaction.
Simply put, after violating the integrity of the material, the molecules begin to attract each other and eliminate the defect. But that’s not all, because the new material can recover even after a break during the day. As a result, if it is used to protect displays, the gadgets are protected not only from minor scratches, but no cracks.
The head of a group of American scientists created this material, Wang Chao said that self-healing materials will be on the market within the next three years. With the new screen protection smartphones will become even more reliable in comparison with those that are available now.
- The U.S. army will transport the wounded to drones (5 photos)
- NASA is preparing to study the icy worlds of the Solar system (video)
- Battle of the robot giants Mk.III and Kuratas will be held this summer (10 photos + video)
- New robot Festo — bionic octopus tentacle (3 photos + video)
- Smart knitting-machine will compete with Adidas (7 photos + video)