YD JOB ALERT: Garmin is looking for a Senior Industrial Designer
A pioneer in navigational technology, Garmin (previously known as ProNav) was founded by Gary Burrell and Min Kao in 1989. The company initially specialized in in GPS technology for automotive, aviation, marine, outdoor, and sport activities (and still does), before becoming a major player in the wearable technology domain, launching activity/fitness trackers and smartwatches that rival companies like Fitbit and Apple. Garmin is looking for a Senior Industrial Designer to join their growing Consumer Industrial Design team in Kansas City, where they will continue to build products that follow Garmin’s model of vertical integration, while combining a keen sense of contemporary aesthetic and style with state of the art technologies.
Garmin’s Consumer Industrial Design team continues to grow in Kansas City. We are looking for talented Senior Industrial Designers to create amazing designs for cycling computers, outdoor handhelds, dash cams, marine radars, and much more. As well as a growing range of wearables for wellness, running, outdoor, golf, kids, and scuba diving.
Join a talented and passionate team of over 30 industrial designers who work directly with engineering and leadership to create compelling products for the Automotive, Outdoor, Fitness, and Marine markets. Collaborate with a dedicated team of prototype developers in a fully equipped shop that includes multiple 3D printers and CNC machines. Experience the variety and diversity of projects that would normally be reserved for a design consultancy with the stability and benefits of a corporate environment. Garmin’s process also provides designers the ability to work on a design from initial sketch through refinement, prototyping and into mass-production.
See work examples and follow us on Instagram:
• Explore a wide variety of compelling design options through sketching and rendering for Garmin’s consumer product markets
• Understand and apply future trends in design, technology, and materials
• Create 3D models using Solidworks for product development and prototyping
• Communicate concepts and ideas through verbal, visual, and written means
• Understand the needs and desires of our customers
• Collaborate with Design, Engineering, Marketing, and Management teams to translate project goals into relevant design solutions
• Work with a team of prototype specialists to create in-house appearance models
• 6+ years experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, related field, or a minimum of 7 years experience performing a role substantially similar to the essential functions of this job description
• Digital proficiency in the use of tools such as SolidWorks, Keyshot, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and Sketchbook Pro
• Excellent hand sketching skills (Wacom Tablet experience preferred)
• Ability to rapidly explore a wide variety of styling options (forms, colors, finishes, materials, etc.)
• A passion for design, technology, and an active lifestyle
• Courage to explore new ideas
• Must be team-oriented, possess a positive attitude, and work respectfully with others
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit portfolio and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kansas City (Missouri), USA.